Blog Travel

Leavin’ on a jet plane

October 7, 2018
wing of an airplane over the New Mexico desert

Hi! Hello! Yes, I’m here again! I know, I’ve been a lousy blogger, haven’t posted in more than a week…sorry. I’m really bad at this. Anyway, part of the reason I haven’t posted in a while was that we went on vacation!

When my mom and step-dad moved to Idaho a couple of years ago, Peter and I decided to get an Alaska card with reward miles, since Alaska is the primary airline that flies anywhere near their new house in the middle of nowhere. That was before Alaska STOPPED FLYING THERE, but that’s another story. Anyway, we had a crap ton of miles, a soon-to-expire companion fare, and a need to burn some of Peter’s vacation time, so we decided to go to California!

Now, Jacksonville has an international airport, but it’s not one of the good international airports. Pretty much anywhere you fly, you have to catch a connecting flight; usually through Atlanta, Denver, or Chicago. Last time we flew to the western states, that meant an early morning flight, a several-hour layover in the midwest, and an afternoon flight. That’s too much for a toddler. Scratch that, that’s too much for ME. This time around, we flew from Orlando, which meant we got a direct flight to San Francisco. 

Saturday morning we got up at a leisurely 7:30 am, got Ben ready, packed our toiletries, and set out for breakfast. It’s about a 2-hour drive from our house to the airport, so we had a ton of time, given that our flight wasn’t until 4:50. Peter always likes to err on the side of caution, and I’m just a straight-up stress ball about traveling, so we planned to get to the airport around 2, with hopes to get through security with minimal delays. We got to MCO an hour earlier than expected, which was great…because, of course, we hit a snag going through security. (insert beleaguered sigh here) It wasn’t entirely terrible: Peter forgot to take the backup battery pack and Ben’s iPad out of his bag, and they wanted to double check the package of wipes in Ben’s carry-on. Not a big deal, except that they’re always understaffed and we had to wait for ages for them to get around to inspect the bags. Not a fun experience when you have a hungry two-year-old who wants to get out of his stroller. With some time to kill, we set up camp at the Cask & Larder restaurant and brewery by our gate. We ordered the BLT sliders, conch hushpuppies, and a couple of drinks, and y’all…they have ruined other BLTs for me forever. I can’t make BLTs with regular bacon anymore, it has to be pork belly ALL THE WAY. I also need to figure out how to duplicate that tomato jam, and that adobo aioli? omg.

After an hour or so spent hanging out (aka chasing Ben around the gate), we boarded the plane (Virgin branded A320 = hallelujah, lots of leg room!) and got the little man all settled in for his first non-stop, cross-country flight. Gulp. He did fairly well…despite refusing to nap and missing his sippy cup. Peter accidentally left it on top of the car in long-term parking. Would it still be there when we got back? Would it have melted to the roof of the car? Who knows! Five hours and one uneventful flight later, we landed in San Francisco. We only had a small hiccup picking up our rental car; the agent gave us the wrong receipt, and the garage guard wouldn’t let us leave! After we checked into our cute little AirBnB apartment, I got some Ben snuggles while Peter ran to the nearby Safeway for milk and our dinner. We all crashed hard after eating since our internal clocks thought it was well past midnight! (FYI: it’s been a week since we got home and my circadian rhythms are still jacked up)

I don’t want to try and cram our entire vacation into one post, so I’ll take a break here and write a follow-up post about our time in San Francisco. Stay tuned!


  • Reply
    October 7, 2018 at 7:57 pm

    But we have fast internet! In the middle of nowhere….xox

  • Reply
    October 8, 2018 at 10:11 am

    I’ve had a real obsession with BLT’s since I found out I was pregnant. Those look amazing. Ben looks like such a little sweetie on the plane, he’s so adorable.

    I am very interested to know the fate of the sippy cup.

    • Reply
      October 9, 2018 at 8:45 am

      During my first trimester with him, all I could eat were grilled cheese sandwiches. Nothing else was appetizing!

      He had a couple of rough patches, but for the most part, he did really well! When he was still a baby he’d snuggle with Peter in the front carrier the whole time, and sleep most of the way. Those days are long gone! Don’t worry, I will cover the fate of the sippy cup 😉

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Follow Me!

%d bloggers like this: